Sunday, May 28, 2006

Where should a mature medical student live!

If you have read my other entries you will realise the impact that my dad's stroke is having on me. However, I am going to carry on with my plans to go to medical school in September, in case he makes a good recovery.

The big issue for me at the moment is where I should live when i start the medical course. The uni halls seem to be nice enough places but the catered halls will mean me living amonst 17yr olds away from home for the first time. I have visions of me trying to sleep whilst they all do the conga past my room at 3am every night.

Self catered halls might be better perhaps. My other option is to be a sub warden in the halls - I figure that then if they try to conga past my room, I can at least put my "Old responsible" head on and stop their nocturnal fun! If I do the warden job, I get free accomodation which will save me £4000 a year. Not to be sniffed at. For a look at the true horrors of young lads living in halls have a look at:
http://www.wacktopia.com/bigandclever.php

I especially like the bit "Every now and then we'd get a visit from our local sub-warden, a thirty year old irish tw*t who would patronisingly tell us that "I know its your first time away from home lads but try to keep the noise down a bit and stop setting fire to people's hair" or something like that whilst pasting up "Wacky Generic Student Drinking Night" posters"

Hmmmm.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.