Thursday, February 08, 2007

Has your beard grown today?

Today was a good day - and I can actually say that I have enjoyed the course for the first time, this week. I think this second semester has been very different to the last one and we seemed to have moved on to more clinically related stuff.

Our exam results are out next Wednesday and I think things could come crashing down. I worked hard before the exams but don't seem to have done enough during last semester. As explained in an earlier post, you can only fail one exam in the first year. If you fail more than one, you have to sit "THE QUALIFIER" which is the exam from hell, which is sat (I think) at the end of July. If you fail this, you have to sit a viva and if you fail this, things are grim. I think that if you have extenuating circumstances you may be allowed to resit the year, otherwise it is curtains.

Anyway, today we had reproduction which is taught by this amazing professor. He doesn't even look at the PowerPoint slides as he teaches and really is brilliant. He was telling us that in men, beard growth is directly in relation to testosterone levels and he mentioned an experiment that an anonymous chap did some time ago. This chap had a job where he spent a few weeks collecting specimens on an island and then came home to his missus and then went back to the island again. He must have been really bored because he decided to start measuring his beard clippings for growth every day, to see what his testosterone levels were doing.

He found that when he was on the island, his beard clippings got shorter over the first week and then (As he was preparing to come home to his wife) they got longer. Thinking about his missus raised his Testosterone levels and made his beard grow! I thought this was great! I don't live with my husband at the moment (Only at the weekends), but after eight years of marriage, I should think his beard shrivels back into his face towards the end of the week.




What's he been thinking about then!





I have been reading a brilliant blog by the Angry Medic. His posts are spot on and much easier going than mine! I sometimes hear a funeral march playing in my head when I am writing these posts so seeing a happy, young man who is also a first year medical student puts things into perspective for me. I keep going back to this point, but I would so love to have done this course at 18. I think I would have had a ball.

More good things - I dreamt about Patrick Dempsey last night. We were on holiday in Tenerife (As you do) and he was walking around in little shorts (I'm surprised I didn't wake up a bearded lady). The funniest thing was that, being the married old bugger I am, I even felt guilty in my dream. It was a very clean dream though! He just seemed to be keeping me company and bringing me cups of tea by the pool. I watched four hours of Greys anatomy last night, which must have been the culprit.











Last bit of news for today - Snoop and P Diddy are in Manchester on March 29th and I have managed to get great seats. Nice one!

5 comments:

The Angry Medic said...

Oh. Uhm. My...beard growth on those long, lonely nights is, um, purely due to increased sleeping. Accelerated growth and all that, you know. Nothing to do with my computer either, oh no.

Heh. Thanks for the plug! And this post was HEElarious. Loved the Santa picture!

Anonymous said...

u are very quiet lately, all going well?? probably busy busy
hanna

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your posts about from nurse to doctor. I also am thinking of going to medical school. You haven't written in your blog since February, 2007. It's now July 2007. Please update on your success in medical school. I would love to hear more of your stories. Thanks for sharing.

Joy

Anonymous said...

Hello anna,
I'm thinking about going to nursing school. At the same time I'm thinking to myself maybe Medicine school will be better. can you help me? way did you decided to be a doctor instead off a nurse?

thanks, Amir
AmirBCohen@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Nursing career in Hawaii is still open and welcomes all nurses from many countries around the world. Find more information @ Nursing Jobs Hawaii

Are you a fresh grad from nursing schools and willing to work in Maryland, or do you have already nurse experiences and looking for nursing jobs in Maryland? Then, don't waste your time read more details about Nursing Jobs Maryland

Are you a nurse job seeker? Memphis is one of the country that need more nurses. Find your desired Nursing Jobs Memphis now.

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.