Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thank God that's over with!


WHOHOOOOOOO!!!!

Have finished my GP block and am SO happy! I have massive respect for GP's after this placement as I never before realised that they have such a tough job. At least on a ward, you get to be part of a team and can order tests and scans to help. I reckon that if you were less than confident in your own ability as a doctor, being a GP would be impossible. Most of the time, the patients coming to see you have common conditions such as UTIs and chest infections, but every now and then it seems that one of them actually has something serious and the skill seems to be picking these up.

I have watched public opinion turn against GPs this year and the rants in the press by the likes of Carole Malone make me sick. I have no doubt that this backlash wouldn't have happened if GP's were not found out to be earning such good money. It really, really annoys me to see that so many people begrudge GPs earning decent money.

Anyway - that placement is over so I now have three weeks on an "Elective" and then four weeks holiday. WOOP WOOP!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey anna! read ur blog by chance and i think u are real cool.
u see, im a nurse who is stuck on the idea of doing medicine as well. Nx year, i 'll be doing my degree in nursing for 1 yr before i do my GEP ( what u call) it to become a dr instead. really motivated by ur 'story'. keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

Hi: I just came to ur blog by coincidence. I just graduated as an RN & was thinking of going into Medicine. Wanted to know how the change as been for you? Do you find medicine more challenging and what differences have you noticed?

Anonymous said...

Hey, im studying to be a nurse but i am really undecided about what i want to do once qualifying!
i either do a masters and become nurse practitioner or doctor, the only reason for doctor is lets face it the pay and the respect doctors get!
your blog is really inspiring me to do medicine but thinking of carrying on uni is something i dread!!
i really enjoy reading your blog, just wanted to wish you well and i hope u cary on doing wonderfully!!
Mel

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.