Saturday, October 04, 2008

Back in action!


OMG - can't believe that it's October and two months have passed since my last post.

To bring things up to date.....I HATED GP placement because my GP was a bullying prat. After GP block, I had a three week "Elective" We had to choose between pathology, Haematology, Radiology or Humanities.(Pathology was my first choice - I fancied working with nice, quiet, dead people after seeing so many live, moaning, ones during my GP block)

Fortunately, or unfortunately (I'm still not sure) I got allotted to my last choice which was humanities. What an experience! Apparently there is a national movement towards trying to introduce humanities into medicine. By that, I mean poetry, opera, photography...all the arty subjects which I was crap at in school. There was no "Humanities" per se in the 1980's - I am told that this is now a GCSE subject.

Anyway...on the intro morning the chap running the course tried to explain what the humanities elective was trying to achieve i.e. broaden medical student's thinking by looking at areas we never normally would. We spent two hours discussing the word "Humanities" I think I give up the will to live after 20 mins.

The short of it is that we each had to produce a 15 minute presentation on subjects like "Was Hamlet mentally ill?"

I'm a bit rough around the edges and not usually into opera, radio plays or literature but I enjoyed the presentations and am not sorry I ended up on the elective after all! I have even found an arty medical picture for you (See above!)

After this, we had a month's holiday. I am being credit crunched to within an inch of my life so couldn't afford a holiday but had a lovely month doing nothing and watching Jeremy Kyle every morning.

Then, three weeks ago I started on my orthopaedics block and am LOVING it! Hells bells, that's the first time since I started Medicine in 2006 that I have said those words. So far the course has been anything except enjoyable - it's just one long slog really, with little bits of hope thrown in every now and then.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.