Thursday, September 07, 2006

What should a mature medical student worry about? Bloody everything!

I am worrying about everything this week. My top ten worries are:

  1. Where is the money going to come from?
  2. Am I mad, leaving my jobs? (Will I regret giving them up and leaving my lovely boss?)
  3. Will my husband be able to put up with my new life? I am going to be away for at least three nights a week.
  4. Where is the money going to come from?
  5. Am I clever enough to do this course? (I am not a boffin)
  6. Will my dad be OK? (See earlier posts)
  7. Will I hate living in halls of residence and find it hard to live with 17yr olds?
  8. Will I be accepted by doctors? (I have already had some comments from doctors along the lines of "GEP medicine isn't as rigorous as normal medicine" "The training isn't what it used to be" "You must be bloody mad - go and be a dentist" and the comment of all comments from a consultant who has worked with me for ten years....."Aren't you a bit thick to be going into medicine?" Cheers mate!
  9. Will nurses hate me? I worry about this so much that I have hardly told a soul that I am going to do medicine!
  10. Where is the money going to come from?!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you are saying! I started a year ago at Barts and am still worrying about most of the same things as you. I found it best just to put my head down and get on with it
Good luck!

CharleyBrowne said...

EVERYONE worries about the money thing (unless you are rich, which no one ever really is). And the "thick" comment was kinda funny, although it was extremely mean of them to say and I am sure you are an extremely bright person anyway. AND all the doctors always tell prospective students that they are mad so I wouldn't take it personally. :)

Oh but don't know that I will be able to put a positive spin on the 17 year olds ... yeah.

Jason

Anonymous said...

I love your sense of humour!

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.