Friday, September 15, 2006

Must have been a lack of competition

Well bugger me! I got the job.

I checked my mobile yesterday and realised that the nice lady who interviewed me had left a message a few hours after I left. This message had been there for two days (More cringing) so I don't know what they must think of me.

Of course, I now can't imagine how I am going to manage it because I have also agreed to do some hours in the tampon factory too (I don't actually make the tampons, I help to look after the people that do) and also to do a few hours a week in my lovely welding factory (Demoted to doing the filing, in a room with no windows)

Am still very calm and wandering why I am not hysterical and running around the factory, beating my chest in anguish. Still time though.......

I start on the medicine course in four days time and from them on this blog is going to be a barrel of laughs as I winge and moan my way though the course. With this in mind, I am going to tell you a bit about myself so if you are not interested, come back next week and I promise the posts will then be about life at medical school.

I have realised that in my last post, I placed my husband under my dogs in my list of important things. This is not good, but can you blame me - look at them:




Kings Charles Cavaliers come in four shades and I have three of them. I really want the fourth (A Blenheim) but my husband has banned me (He is far enough down my list as it is)

We have had cavaliers since I was five years old and I love them so much that every time one has died, we have been so cut up that we have sworn never to have another one again. Then a few weeks have gone by and we have gotten so depressed that we have gone out and bought another one. I lost my last two from heart failure (Very close to each other) seven years ago and three weeks later we ended up buying three more. My husband was never a dog person but is now just as bad as me and I can safely say that we have the three happiest dogs I have ever met. They are our babies and are clever enough to realise that if real babies were to come along their reign would end. To ensure that this never happens, they like to come to bed and three dogs and two people do not, a happy bed, make.

We alternate through the night between two beds, trying to get away from them, but they are never far behind - Victoria would be horrified

6 comments:

DundeeMedStudent said...

Oh my victoria would be unimpressed! My parents dog shares the bed with them, he is a gordon setter and much larger than your three put together!

DundeeMedStudent said...

P>S good one on getting another job!

Nurse To Doc said...

Hello
I wasn't sure what one of them Gordon setters looked like, so have had a look on the internet - they are gorgeous! I love the ones with the wrinkly skin too (Sharpeis?) I would love one of everything really!

CharleyBrowne said...

hey! congrats on the job :) good luck getting through your first week. it may be good, it may be bad, but you'll get through it. that i am sure of.

M. Dyspnea said...

Good luck with the beginning. I thought I'd write to let you know that you are far from alone: we have several nurses, EMTs, and PAs in my current class that are in their early thirties. Many of them worried if they had the chops for medical school and they are finding out that they do. I hope the same for you.

I don't think you should worry about intelligence. When someone asks me, "Is she smart?" I never know how to respond. At this point in your life, what you know is related to how hard you've worked and nothing angers a student that has worked her ass of more than being accused of doing well because they are "smart." The better question will always be, "Does she work?" And that, I think, you've proven.

Again, best of luck and find time to write. topher.

DrG said...

Hey Anna, thank for the email. I linked you to my Med Student Webring, Blogs of Medical Students

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.