Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Induction week at medical school

Many apologies for the lack of posts but I have not had an internet connection until now. I haven't spent the whole week sozzled - honest!

Well - I am finally here. I really never thought that I would make it, but I did and here I am in D halls on my induction week. The medical students arrived on Sunday and are all staying in halls so we can "Bond" .There are around 270 five year students and 60 of us older, graduate students. The week has been very well organised with daily "Welcome" lectures, uni familiarisation and nightly organised socials in the town centre.

I have found this week very, very hard. As an older student, I suppose that I am stuck in my ways and I have given up an awful lot to come here.

When I arrived in my room in D Hall on Sunday, my heart sank. What a dive! My room had disgusting brown dirty carpet tiles which had lots of silverfish crawling in them and squashed mosquitoes on the walls. I could see the mattress springs though the sheets and when I got in bed, the mattress was so saggy that I had to sleep in a boomerang shape. The others on my corridor thought it was fine to come in at 1,2 and 3 am and shout as loud as they could.....Ok you get the idea - I hated the place!

I wanna go HOME!!!


As well as the accommodation, I found it very overwhelming being around so many new people, although they all seem a nice bunch. I have never, in my life, been homesick and thought that I was much too old for that kind of thing now, but I have missed my old life and just wanted to come home, put my uniform on and go to my nice normal job with people I know and then come home to my nice house and eat nice food with my nice husband!
I suppose the good thing with being a bit older is that I know I am likely to be much happier next week when I move into my proper accommodation and get started on the course. What I can safely say is that the medical school seems excellent and the four years are likely to be quite a slog!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.