Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Half way though first week at medical school

Today was a good day! We had histology this morning followed by dissection and then cardio vascular examination this afternoon.

The histology was great - we looked at epithelial cells and the way the day was laid out was really well planned. We had a lecture first on the basics of simple and stratified epithelia. We then went into the dissection room (DR) and looked at bodily structures and epithelial linings.

I haven't mentioned the DR in my last two posts because I am a bit worried about how much I can say without causing trouble. I have to mention it though, because it is so integral to what we are doing. These words obviously represent my thoughts and not those of the university (Sorry about the formalities, but I know this is a sensitive area)

The dissection room is a strange place to be. Ours is superbly set up and in a big hall with around 40 Cadavers in there. We were introduced to it last week and despite eleven years of nursing, the shock factor for me was big.

It just seems so strange to walk into a room where there are so many dead people. We were in groups of around 15 people and our demonstrator peeled back the sheet.... and there was our body. I am not sure if ours was a man or a women because we could only see from the chest up. I didn't pass out or anything like that but just felt very odd and a bit sad. We had been given an intro to the DR during intro week and apparently, dissection is becoming less and less common in UK medical schools because of the huge cost associated with it and also because less people are donating their bodies. I wander whether Gunther von Hagens has a lot to do with this.


We Will Cut you up in front of a live studio audience!

For me personally, I think it will be of massive value to be able to see structures and where everything fits in. One of the speakers last week (A professor of surgery) said that he has found anatomy to be lacking in many junior doctors and my medical school seem very focused on ensuring we know our stuff. Once I get over the queasy feeling in my stomach, I will love it!

During histology today, we looked at a human head and I was very, very unnerved. I tried to concentrate on the tissues we were supposed to be looking at, but I couldn't help looking around to see if anyone else was thinking "Shit - This is someone's head!" I couldn't help thinking that this was someone (Again, not sure if was a male or a female head - I am going to make a fantastic doctor) who had perhaps been speaking to their family a few weeks or months ago, or walking down the street. Very strange experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your histology. Histology can be fun, but it takes a lot of work.

About Me

My photo
I knew I wanted to study medicine from 5 minutes into my nurse training in 1992. This didn't go down too well with my peers but it has taken me eleven years to get my life in a place where I could apply to medical school, so I have paid my nursing dues! I was lucky enough to get two offers. I have been married for seven years to an ex footballer who is now a PE teacher. We have no plans for babies but I would love more King Charles Spaniels. I start medicine on September 20th 2006 and am absolutely petrified.